Right-of-Way and Encroachment Permits

The City owns or holds an interest in various properties throughout the community, which include roads, sidewalks, and easements granted for utility lines, public access, and open spaces.

When is a ROW Permit Required?

Right-of-way permits are required when home owners, businesses, or public utilities install improvements in the City's  rights-of-way and easements.  Some examples are: driveways, sidewalk, fences, and utility placement.

When is an Encroachment Permit Required?

Encroachment permits are required whenever a private improvement is constructed within the City right-of-way.  They are commonly used when fences are placed at the back of sidewalk. 

ROW/Encroachment Permit Application Process

ROW and Encroachment permits are typically issued in conjunction with a building permit.  A site plan detailing the proposed work must be submitted at the time of application.  All permit applications will be reviewed to determine if they present a public health or safety hazard, and comply with current standards.  ROW Permit Application.

Permit Costs

The basic ROW permit fee is $50. In addition to the permit fee, the City of Pasco charges for inspection services on development projects.  Effective January 1, 2011, inspection fees will be billed out at $90 for the first hour and $60 each additional hour/per project; and will be done monthly.

Construction and Contractors

Permit applicants must provide the name of the contractor that will be working in the right of way.  The contractor must possess a current City of Pasco Business License.  More information on getting a business license can be found here.

Click here for more information about Construction Inspection.


Please contact the Building Department  at (509-545-3441) if you have any questions, or to inquire about getting a permit.