Traffic Infractions

Ways to Handle Traffic Infractions

There are 4 ways to handle a traffic infraction:

  • Deferred infraction finding: A defendant may petition the court for deferral of a traffic infraction if it is shown that a deferral has not been granted within the past 7 years and you do not have a commercial driver’s license. Download a deferral application from the Court Forms page.
  • Post payment: The defendant may pay the set fine, admitting to wrongdoing. This involves no court hearing.
  • Request a mitigation hearing: The defendant admits to the violation, but asks for a reduced fine based upon mitigating circumstances.  Please note that fines for school zone, park zone, and construction zone violations cannot be reduced by law. 
  • Request a contested hearing: The defendant chooses not admit to the violation, and moves to a full trial.
  • Request a Time-Pay agreement: The defendant can come to the court office and sign a monthly time-pay agreement.