Residential Burning

Can I Burn……

.… tumbleweeds blown on to my property?

Windblown tumbleweeds that have been blown on to your property can be burned at any time during an approved burn day whether you are inside or outside the Urban Growth Area (UGA). However, only the tumbleweeds can be burned, any other vegetative material to be burned is subject to the rules specific to your location.

… tumbleweeds that are growing on my property?

If the tumbleweeds are growing on your property, you cannot burn them in place.

You may want to consider an alternative to burning such as mulching, mowing, or composting. However, you may also want to try to control the weeds before they become a problem by mowing or using a commercial herbicide.

… in a woodstove, fireplace, or barbecue?

At the present time, in the City of Pasco and Franklin County, there are no restrictions on when you can use your woodstove, barbecue, or fireplace. However, you must burn properly to minimize the impact of smoke on your neighbors. Also, you cannot burn in your fireplace or woodstove if the State of WA issues a Level 2 restriction (stagnant air) warning unless it is your only source of heat.

… for recreation (campfire, bonfire, or outdoor fireplace)?

As of April 13, 2000, the definition and rules about recreational fires have changed. Recreational fire means (by definition) cooking fires, campfires, bonfires, and outdoor fireplaces using charcoal or firewood that occur in designated areas or on private property for cooking or pleasure purposes (WAC 173-425-030). Fires used for debris disposal are not considered recreational fires.

Inside the UGA: Recreational fires smaller than 3'x2' are allowed at any time and do not require a permit unless it is a "No Burn Day". Any recreational fire larger than 3'x2' is prohibited.

Outside the UGA: Recreational fires are allowed at any time and do not require a permit.

… in a burn barrel?

As of April 13, 2000, the use of the traditional metal burn barrel is illegal throughout the State. This was done primarily to make the state rule consistent with the Uniform Fire Code.

If you feel that you must use a system similar to the burn barrel, waste disposal is still allowed in an outdoor burning device. This device must be constructed of concrete or masonry with a completely enclosed combustion chamber and a permanently attached iron spark arrester (max ½ inch holes). The device can only be used to dispose of natural vegetative debris. Paper, garbage, wood product, and other prohibited materials are illegal to burn.

… construction debris on my property?

The burning of construction debris is prohibited by state law, WAC 173-425-050 (2), and by Pasco Municipal Code which adopted the Title 3 Fire Code. Because of the significant amount of prohibited materials found in construction fires of the past, the Title 3 Fire Code and the WAC strictly prohibits any fire from occurring on a construction site. This includes the burning of vegetative debris and the burning of tumbleweeds. Burning illegally on a construction site will likely result in a violation and fine.

… on my small/hobby orchard?

Small hobby farms and small orchards are also subject to burning rules and regulations. If the farm or orchard sells what it produces and files a Schedule F with its income taxes, the farm is considered to be a commercial operation and is subject to the agricultural burning rules. All other farms and orchards are considered to be non-commercial. As with residential burning of yard waste, the location of the property is important.

Because outdoor burning has been substantially banned within the UGA, there are no "burn days".

If there are any questions concerning burning on hobby farms and orchards, please contact the City of Pasco or Franklin County.

… on a lot or area that is a fire hazard?

Brush and weeds on a piece of property can be considered a fire hazard and land must be maintained. In most cases mowing is an effective alternative to eliminate fire hazards.


  • Burning yard debris (leaves, branches, etc.) at your property
  • Transferring material from your property to outside the UGA (Urban Growth Area) for the purpose of burning the material per WAC 173-425-050
  • The use of burn barrels
  • Burning for land-clearing purposes
  • Burning tumbleweeds that are growing on your property
  • Burning garbage, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber products, plastics, paper (other than what is necessary to start the fire), cardboard, treated wood, construction debris, metal, or any substance (other than natural vegetation ) which when burned releases toxic emissions, dense smoke, or odors. WAC 173-425-050

Outside the UGA:

Recreational fires are allowed at any time and do not require a permit.

Campfires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition. Campfires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.

Bonfires shall not be conducted within 50 feet of a structure of combustible material unless the fire is contained in a barbecue pit at which time it can be no closer than 25 feet from a structure or combustible materials. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 50 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition. Bonfires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.