The spread of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) is cause for concern within the community, however, there are a number of resources available so you have the latest news and information. The City recommends the following sources for local, state, and federal information on the virus:
Here are some steps that you and your family can do to help (from the B-F Health District):
- Do not go to the emergency room unless essential. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs. If you have symptoms like cough, fever, or other respiratory problems, contact your regular doctor first.
- Stay home when sick. Staying home when ill prevents the spread of infection to others.
- Practice excellent personal hygiene habits. This includes hand washing for at least 20 seconds with soap and water (use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol if you can’t wash), coughing into tissue or elbow, and avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits: Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious food.
- Stay away from people who are ill, especially if you are 60 and older or have underlying health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, or a weakened immune system.
- Stay informed. Information is changing frequently. Check with the above linked resources for the latest news.