I don’t like my public defender. What can I do?

The court appoints public defenders on a rotational basis from a panel of attorneys. The defendant does not have a choice in who is appointed. If you do not like your public defender, you have the following options:

  • Call the Administrator, Raymond Hui, to help facility communication with your public defender. Phone # is 509-302-3001.
  • Ask the Judge to remove your public defender from your case. However, in doing so, will result in you defending yourself in the case (call representing yourself pro se).
  • Hire a private attorney to replace your public defender.
  • Ask the Judge to replace your public defender with a different public defender.

Show All Answers

1. Who Can Get a Public Defender?
2. How do I apply for Public Defense?
3. How do I contact my Public Defender?
4. I have a warrant. What are my options?
5. I don’t like my public defender. What can I do?
6. How do I file a complaint against my Court Appointed Attorney?
7. What are my rights when charged with a crime?